Chiropractors are healthcare providers who are licensed in Ontario under the Regulated health profession Act (RHPA), with the title of doctor, and the licensed act of diagnosis and spinal manipulation and mobilization. As a result, a patient can directly access a chiropractor without a referral from their family doctor.
What Conditions do Chiropractors Treat?
Examples of the conditions that we treat:
- Spinal pain of the neck and back
- Joint and muscle pain of the jaw, shoulder; elbow , wrist, hands, hips, knee, ankle and foot
- Sport injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Work related accidents
- Repetitive strain injuries
What is Chiropractic Treatment Like?
Typical chiropractic treatment is by hand or with an instrument, and is referred to as ‘manual care’ or ‘manipulation’. Chiropractic treatment is intended to correct abnormal movement of joints of the spine, relieve nerve spasm, pain and muscle tension. It is not invasive, violent or painful.
Are Other Treatment Options Available?
At Koch & Associates Spine Centre we offer a range of services in addition to chiropractic care. An integrated program of treatment can be provided specific to your needs.
For example, our facility also offers:
- Exercise rehabilitation
- Physiotherapy including ultrasound and electrotherapy
- Spinal Decompression, also known as traction, providing particular benefit for disc problems
- Massage Therapy
- Naturopathy for vitamin, nutritional and lifestyle advice
- Acupuncture for pain relief
- Orthotics for foot imbalance and foot pain
- Laser therapy
- Pain management
- Craniosacral therapy, which gently works with the spine and the skull and its cranial sutures. Craniosacral therapists use the therapy to treat stress, neck and back pain and migraines
- TMJ Syndrome and chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia
- Sports Injury Management
- Assessment Services
What to Expect During a Chiropractic Examination
A typical chiropractic examination is similar to what you would experience in a physician’s office.
- The assessment focuses on the area of your complaint and a review of relevant health history.
- If necessary, it includes review of x-rays, MRI’s, etc.
- The assessment and examination is followed by the formation of an opinion as to what can or cannot be done to help you with your concern.
- The Chiropractor will review the examination results and your treatment options with you.
- The Chiropractor will also answer any questions you may have.
- You can chose to participate in all, none or some of the recommendations.
- You are always in control.
Chiropractic Treatment is Effective and Safe
It is a common myth that chiropractic treatments hurt or they are dangerous.
- Chiropractic treatment is extremely safe.
- As with any treatment, there are some inherent risks, but they are very minor, such as muscle strain, sprains, rib trauma, or disc injury.
- Serious and adverse effects, such as stroke, occur rarely (one in a million). To put things in perspective, the chance of having a serious complication from a chiropractic treatment is no greater than from natural head movement such as extending your neck into a hairdressers’ sink. Much more significant factors in the cause of strokes are long-term lifestyle choices including smoking, drinking, or a lack of exercise combined with hereditary factors such as high blood pressure or a history of heart disease or stroke. Any and all risks are fully disclosed to our patients.
- Chiropractors routinely help individuals restore normal physical functioning and direct patients to engage in healthier lifestyle choices.